


In New Zealand our national sport is Rugby Union. Not Rugby League or Aussie Rules or Soccer or even Football, just Rugby.
And the much anticipated Rugby World Cup has just begun in France.Our team is called the All Blacks and they are looked upon as heroes!
Before every international game our team performs a haka which is a very stirring 'war dance' would be the closest description. It is like a challenge to the opposing team and designed to frighten and intimidate them.
Here are some pics of the All Blacks performing the Haka. Ka Mate has in the past been the favoured haka but recently the All Blacks have composed one especially for rugby which they perform sometimes.

The Words of Ka Mate
| Ka mate! Ka mate! Ka ora! Ka ora! | I die! I die! I live! I live! |
| Ka mate! Ka mate! Ka ora! Ka ora! | I die! I die! I live! I live! |
| Tenei te tangata puhuru huru | This is the hairy man |
| Nana nei i tiki mai | Who fetched the Sun |
| Whakawhiti te ra | And caused it to shine again |
| A upa ... ne! ka upa ... ne! | One upward step! Another upward step! |
| A upane kaupane whiti te ra! | An upward step, another.. the Sun shines!! |
| Hi !!! | |

No comments:
Post a Comment