I last wrote about our hedgehog (now called Hedgewick) in April.
He (or she - hard to tell with hedgehogs) has been away sleeping over the cooler winter months and has now woken up ravenous. He has forgotten that he is supposed to be nocturnal and is wandering around in full sunlight blinking blearily.
He seems to have decided to live like our cats ie. hang around the kitchen door in expectation of food magically appearing - which of course it does at regular intervals. They seem oblivious to him, no doubt they have decided that if they ignore him he might go away. He's too prickly to play with, cuddle up with, or eat. So has little value in their eyes I suspect.
He is very tame but I think that is because hunger has overridden any shyness. He likes any cat food, especially something soft. His natural diet is slugs and snails. I expect that he will wander off when he is feeling stronger.
1 comment:
These photos delighted my girlies. And me, of course!
One of my best friends (in Vancouver) had a hedgehog, called Mrs Tiggywinkle, as a pet.
I just remember them in my Granny's garden in Cambridge, England... They were always digging up the lawn, but were so darned CUTE!!
Post a Comment