

This is a pic of White Island which lies about 48k offshore in the Bay of Plenty.
About 70 percent of the volcano is under the sea, making this massive volcanic structure the largest in New Zealand.
A sulphur mining venture began on the island in 1885; this was stopped abruptly in 1914 when part of the crater wall collapsed and a landslide destroyed the sulphur mine and miners' village; twelve lives were lost. The remains of buildings from that era are now a tourist attraction.
Although privately owned, White Island became a private scenic reserve in 1953, and daily tours allow more than 10,000 people to visit White Island every year.
Volcanic activity on the Island is constantly monitored by Geonet. They have two cameras set up which relay images and take seismic readings.
The most recent eruption was March to September 2000. Early in March a new vent developed and began to emit ash. An eruption occurred late in July which covered the crater area in scoria, also displacing the main crater lake and forming a new explosion crater 150 m across.
The map shows the Taupo Rotorua Volcanic zone and the areas of Thermal activity.
The whole area is also prone to earthquakes.
Sometimes I feel that we are living on an eggshell!!
2 comments:
YAY!! You're BACK!! I'm just sorry I didn't find you sooner.
Thrilled to be able to add your blog to my "favourites" roll once again. Your postings are always so interesting... I can't wait to get a glimpse of your gardens once your summer is in full swing!!
Best wishes-- CGF xo
Hi Candy, yes I am back!! Thanks for the lovely welcome.
I will be posting some garden pics for sure.
The vege garden is looking bare except for some sugar snap peas which are doing well thanks to my worm fertilizer! More on that later.
Post a Comment