Tuesday, March 3, 2009

The World Village

What a small place the world is - a hackneyed phrase but so true.

A few days ago my husband had an unexpected visitor walk into his office. An Englishman visiting New Zealand, this man had been sitting as a passenger in a car going past the front entrance of the office. They had to stop at the roundabout and as he idly glanced out the window he saw our business sign in the window. It turns out that he has the same surname as us, its a relatively unusual one, and his business is called the same name as ours also. He is in the same line of work with the same background training. His first name is also similar to my husbands.

He came up to the office for a few beers after work yesterday and I went in and met him. A very pleasant man - I am pleased that we share the same surname - and business names. He and my husband had a lot to talk about as they compared the various facets of their work in the two countries.

This morning we had the pleasure of meeting his wife also. They depart for home (South England) tomorrow.

My husband now talks jokingly about 'our Head office in England' while the Englishman will be going home and referring to his 'South Pacific' branch!

We have made two new friends.

4 comments:

Veronica Wald said...

What a cute story :-)

I've been trying to answer your comment on my blog about our old kitties for two days, for some reason it isn't working. Thanks for sharing your situation with me. So you know what I'm going through, and what I worry about constantly. But we have both gotten a lot of good years from our little friends. In the old days, 14 or 15 was a ripe age for a kitty. I hope the information I found on the fab site is as helpful to you as it was to me.

Best of luck with your mama cat's situation! And I do hope they can do something helpful for the younger guy.

Putz said...

yes a world village, you with mormon relatives and me here in utar....and and and

Anonymous said...

What a small world. That's quite a co-incidence isn't it? There must be a reason you got together, could there be some family ties from long ago?

yes Alnwick is one of those funny English names and it's pronounced Annick, although Alnmouth a few miles down the coast is pronounced as it is spelt. We have a place called Cambois just up the road. It's pronounced Cammass. I'm sure the locals did it just to laugh at thr tourists.

Rick said...

It is a small world and getting smaller. It wasn't long ago that the idea of communicating with someone in New Zealand like this would have thought to be impossible. But here we are.

Thank you for signing up to be a follower of my blog. I am honored.