Monday, March 30, 2009

50's and 60's

I was actually age 14 at the end of the fifties, a rather immature farm kid, not really very aware of the wider world - and Elvis and the rock and roll culture. Things changed a little when I left home in the 60's and went to Training College.

American cars were quite popular here at the time. We used to marvel at their excessive size, the 'wings' at the sides, and some were the very first convertible cars I had ever seen.

My parents owned a Model T Ford, then a British car - a Singer, then a Vauxhall, a large Dodge, a Simca, and after my Father died my Mother bought a Daimler. A rather eclectic collection of cars from a variety of countries.

In New Zealand there was a mixture of American and British cars available in the 50's and 60's. We saw Chevvies, lots of Fords, Buiks, Chryslers but seldom any Cadillacs or Lincolns. British cars were the usual makes - Minis, Austins, Morris, Vauxhalls, Daimlers, Rolls Royce (seldom seen), Jaguar, etc.

Here are some more photos from the Beach Hop.




4 comments:

Lakeland Jo said...

great cars- would love to drive one

Putz said...

wow that is my car, really, hey riddle me riddle me, my wife of course has problems with embarassing her on blogs so go to my FOURTH BLOG IN the middle and answer me answer me

Putz said...

wow that is my car, really, hey riddle me riddle me, my wife of course has problems with embarassing her on blogs so go to my FOURTH BLOG IN the middle and answer me answer me, so their is really only one way she will let me blog again...i must change...so answer me on my riddle

squirrelmama said...

I love the old cars. My first vehicle was a 1963 Dodge Coronet (it was already more than 10 years old when I got it, however). I loved that machine, it was built like a tank, and pretty simple under the hood, too.
There is nothing like being in the presence of old cars!