Sunday, March 8, 2009

Bromeliad colour






4 comments:

Anonymous said...

They are pretty, don't think I've ever had any of those in my garden although I have seen them in the garden centres. What kind of conditions do they like?

We are about to make a few changes to our garden, replacing the playhouse that is now about 14 years old with a proper shed. We have a very wet corner and we will use the shed to cover that. I also want to make it a little more colourful and maybe put some more pots in (otherwise the dogs wreck the plants if they are in the border)

I will consult you before any planting though!

merinz said...

Tismee - a shed sounds a good idea for a wet corner. If its shady as well then would be a good place for ferns.

Bromeliads mostly like a semi tropical habitat I think. However there may be some that thrive in cooler climes. Some of them would be most unattractive to the dogs as they have serrated leathery leaves and would hurt their nose. The ones with leathery leaves are ones that like the full sun.

Anonymous said...

Yes it seems that's all I can grow in that corner - I have 3 difernt ferns there but it's where Keesha sits when she's hiding from the hoover and she's trapled them all a bit!

I also have a spikey thing that seems to like it there. I'll send you pics.

Putz said...

they are so perfect that they all look artificial