Monday, July 14, 2008

Bird Feeders






































These are two of the bird feeders I have hanging in the flowering cherry tree. They were made by our neighbour who donated them to me when he shifted.

The first one is made of a chain welded together, and I think he has used wire coat hangers for the cross pieces and the spike to attach the oranges to. The feeder in the second photo is harder to see, you will need to enlarge it. It is a simpler one with four spikes, made out of a wire coat hanger again, I just have one orange on it at the moment.

I use windfall oranges from our tree and the nectar feeding birds love them. I would love to be able to photograph the birds flocking around and feeding but they are so very shy I can't get close enough. We have three cats so the birds are super sensitive to any movement.

8 comments:

Candygirlflies said...

Amazing!! I'll have to give it a whirl... I wonder if butterflies would come to it, too??

xoxo CGF

Anonymous said...

Do birds like oranges?

I have noticed that our new next door neighbour has a hanging thing in her garden and loads of lovely little birds come to feed from it. I'm gutted. I've tried for years to get birds in the garden but only get blackbirds. I thought it was because of the cats or even the dogs. I think she must have some enticing concoction in her feeders - I'm going to ask when I see them next.

Anonymous said...

I thought you might like to know that I spoke to my neighbour and found out her secret. Some funny little black seeds that the chaffinches go mad for. I have moved my table and hung a feeder on the bay tree - so maybe I can entice some of the lovely birdies into MY garden.

merinz said...

Thanks for the update Tismee. Glad that you have found out her secret. You may be surprised what birds you could attract to your garden.

I once got all enthusiastic and made up a concoction of seeds, fat,and peanut butter to feed to the birds. They loved it but it was proving rather expensive so I haven't made it again.

squirrelmama said...

These are too fabulous! Here in the States we use bird-attractors such as sliced citrus for drawing orioles, beautiful orange and black birds, to the property! It works!!

merinz said...

Hi Squirrelmama - love your blog! What other things do you use for 'bird attractors'?

Anonymous said...

Wow, I never knew birds liked oranges. These birdfeeders are really funky. Something I'd love to have in our garden too.

Not sure how I got to your blog exactly. Was reading a friend's blog, clicked on a comment to another blog, then another from there etc.; but it is funny how I have ended back in good old NZ again at your blog. Small world.

PS. Love your photography.

merinz said...

Hi Shornsheep - welcome to my blog and thank you for your comments.

Where in the Waikato are you? It is good to have another NZer as a reader - we don't get too many here.