Saturday, July 12, 2008

Cabin Fever














"Cabin fever
is a slang term for a claustrophobic reaction that takes place when a party is isolated and/or shut in, alone or together, for an extended period. Symptoms include restlessness, irritability, forgetfulness, and excessive sleeping". Wikipedia.

Hmm I knew there was a reason for my restlessness, irritability, forgetfulness, and excessive sleeping!

In the meantime the rain continues and the garden looks more drab and sadder by the minute.

On a brighter note - the Camelias are in flower so,when the rain stops, I will have some more photos to share.

And the little Wax Eyes (sometimes called White Eyes, Silver Eyes or Tauhou) are enjoying the windfall oranges I have cut in half and hung in the tree for them. (photo from Wikipedia)



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely picture mrinz - I love watching birds in the garden. We only get starlings and blackbirds, with the ocasional visit from a magpie. There are lots of cats round and as it's a fairly new estate the trees aren't established enough to encourage lots of them. One year we stayed in a cottage in Scotland that had a beautiful garden and a bird table right infront of the kitchen window. So many different birds came to eat. I sat for hours.
I get like you in the winter, just want to stay in where it's cosy and warm, yet itching to get out in some sunshine.

merinz said...

Tismee2 - I would like to say I took the picture but no, not one of mine!

I can't get the little blighters to stay still enough to get a shot of them.

Then they pay me back for attracting them to my garden by eating all the apples before they are ripe!

When I was in the UK I longed to see a Robin. The last trip two years ago I finally caught a glimpse of one. You have so many beautiful birds there.

Candygirlflies said...

When we have been snowed in for days on end, we describe the shut-in, stir-crazed feeling as "going shack-wacky"!

The birds in the garden are no doubt a bit of comfort for the soul, though! Our winter birds at the feeder include bright red cardinals, blue jays, little black-and-white junkos, and tiny woodpeckers... Of course, the dratted big, fat squirrels are out in full-force, too, eating everything in sight...

I had not thought of hanging an orange from a tree-- I wonder if it would bring a few finches, or a hummingbird by?

Thanks for this, Mrinz! Lovely.

xo CGF

Unknown said...

Oh! What a lovely photo! Here on the Island, "birding" is a very popular pastime. There are so many beautiful birds. My favourite is the little hummingbirds that feed near my kitchen window!

merinz said...

Candy - Hmm will have to remember shack-wacky and use it next time. Not that snow holds us captive, its the rain.
I will post a photo later of my bird feeding 'devices'. The wax eyes are nectar feeding so your nectar birds should like orange halves.

Chrissy - I would LOVE to see a hummingbird. I had a woodpecker right outside my classroom window in BC and that was fascinating.

squirrelmama said...

The Wax Eyes are lovely, they remind me somewhat of the finches here in the States, though none of ours have quite the plumage of yours. (We do have gorgeous goldfinches, black and golden feathers, which are attracted by small black thistle seed.) And of course, EVERYTHING attracts our beloved squirrels!