These are two camellias from my garden.
The pink, frilly and rather blowsy one is Margaret Davis and the more formal red one (sorry it is a bit tatty around the edges) is Roger Hall.
Margaret and Roger are planted beside each other. Margaret always flowers first, and as I mentioned, she is rather blowsy and a prolific flowerer, but poor Roger is very formal, a late bloomer but the blooms are immaculate in their symmetry, and not nearly as prolific. They are such a contrast to each other. I have a chuckle every winter when they bloom as their differences become more obvious.
The rest of the year they sit amiably side by side. Perhaps they are like some people I know - not terrible well suited but they just box along all the same.
6 comments:
They are beautiful. I had a chuckle at their names though. I have a camellia and it's only ever flowered once in about 8 years and that ws on the back of the plant where no-one could see it's one pathetic bloom. It has grown lots of leaves, but no flowers. Any green fingered advice?
Tismee - if it has grown a bit straggly then a good prune could give it a wake up. Then some fertiliser in the spring - your local garden centre will have an idea about what is suitable to use for your area.
It doesn't look straggly, it actually looks quite healthy but no flowers.
You should visit Northumberland and see the beautiful coastline and castles. Google Bamburgh Castle - that isn't far from Alnwick, and there is Holy Island too.
Lovely, and I like their names. I've never grown camellias.
Morning mrinz!
have a look what I have for you on my blog.
Roger and Margaret sound an awful lot like my husband and myself! : ) I hope they are surviving the winter.
I'm from California, northern to be precise...the infamous Silicon Valley. We have friends in N.Z. that have tried to talk us into moving there. It looks gorgeous but it's just too far away for me.
TTFN, B.
Post a Comment