This post is for my Northern Hemisphere friends to have a laugh!
Here are the first few paragraphs (edited) from an article in our local paper this evening - the front page in fact!
"THE BIG CHILL -0.7C ONE OF THE COLDEST DAWNS RECORDED IN 18 YEARS.
Tauranga recorded one of its coldest mornings in 18 years today when the temperature in the central city plummeted to a biting -0.7degrees C. The reading was taken at Tauranga Airport between 7am and 8am.
Today's chill follows a weekend of polar conditions that closed roads - including State Highway 29 across the Kaimai range on Saturday night and created havoc for emergency services. The highway was turned into 'a skating rink' as hailstones and snowflakes were compacted to ice."
So - yes we had snow in the bay of Plenty - but it was confined to the top of the Ranges. However here in the Bay it was one of the coldest nights we have had for while!
Further south of course it is a worse situation with closed roads all over the South of the South Island, and in central North Island as well. Plenty of snow on all the ski fields but people unable to travel to them.
3 comments:
I shall ignore the actual temperature reading, and say instead that I feel for your community! It is not at all funny to be "held hostage" by the weather, and I do sympathize...
That said, I could mail you a set of snow tires, a parka and Canadian touque, if it would be of help!! You probably don't need the mukluks.. yet!
On the upside? It's great "knitting weather"!!
Stay warm-- thinking of you.
xoxo CGF
Now the time for those koala gloves - were they koala , nope don't think they were, hang on will have to back track. Ok I'm back, they were Possumdown.
Think you may need thermals in the same stuff!
Good excuse for a hot toddy though!
Haha. I think the coldest morning we have had so far this winter was a fortnight ago - minus 4 degrees here in the Waikato. Sometimes it seems colder here than in Otago where I'm originally from.
That is cold for the BOP though, your temp quoted there.
Post a Comment