Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Trash and Treasure





























One of my favourite pastimes here is to go to the weekend markets. Some markets (usually called fleamarkets) are once a month, others every second Sunday. There is usually one in the vicinity most weekends and they provide an endless variety of goods: - second hand chattels of every description, fruit and vegetables, crafts, plants, etc as well as buskers for entertainment, and a burger stand or sausage sizzle or two as fundraising ventures for clubs, childrens trips etc.

The markets are probably much the same as other markets and boot sales or garage sales around the world!

Some of the stalls are 'professional' stall holders selling a range of new items, often Asian in origin. But the majority are people who have had a clean out and are getting rid of household 'clutter', or wanting to raise some cash. Some of the plant sellers propagate and sell plants as a sideline to their everyday jobs. Likewise the craft people.

We also have a Farmers Market which is slightly different in that the emphasis is on food and produce, home grown, often organic.

Last weekend I went to a local market - here are two photos taken there. The first photo is a general view, the second some beanies and purses with a Maori motif. The names on the beanies are names of local tribes.

I tend to buy mostly plants for my garden, you can often find unusual plants that would never be seen in a Garden Centre or Plant shop, and of course the prices are much better. I will sometimes buy fruit and veges, or a little treasure that I have seen that I can't resist. Most of the garden tools, and many of our kitchen articles at our beach house came from the markets.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love going around car boot sales but since having Alexander it always involves a whining child wanting this or that or the other. I have a whole house full of stuff to take to my own car boot sale - I just need time to sort it all out.
It's the little unusual things I like to find.
Once I bought a picture of a Royal Navy Ships crew from the turn of the century - It was the frame I wanted but once I cleaned it up a bit I decided to keep the whole picture. Think that's in the loft somewhere now though..

Candygirlflies said...

Something for everyone at your sale, it seems!! My eldest daughter would have jumped on the "SIMS" computer game, and I would have been interested in the baking book... And, I'm sure with the weather being the way it's been down there, the warm, wooly hats would be popular-- if you could get the right team name on it, of course!

When I was a teenager, I used to frequent church jumble sales, and purchased some beautiful old hats, and "junk jewellery". When I went into costuming, I discovered that some of my finds were, in fact, quite valuable! I may not actually wear them all, but I still love to look at them...

xo CGF

merinz said...

Tismee - yes you never know what will turn up at the markets/garage sales/boot sales.

I have had some interesting finds over the years but now I am getting rather ruthless about turning my back - like you I have way too much in the house.

We have an excellent online selling site here called Trade Me - rather like Ebay but with an NZ twist to it. It is just great for selling off unwanted items. And for finding items too.

Last week I bought some beautiful wool (brand new) especially for knitting socks. I have never ever knitted socks before and thought that I would give them a try - childrens socks that is.

merinz said...

Candy - Hmm I eyed the Sims game but thought that my Sims days are over - novelty has more than worn off.

I bet that your girls love your collection of 'junk' jewellery!