Thursday, December 6, 2007

Te Harinui - a New Zealand Christmas hymn
















Samuel Marsden, the first missionary in New Zealand, arrived in the Bay of Islands on 23 Dec 1814 on board the ship Active. They anchored near Rangihoua on the North side of the bay.

On Christmas Day Marsden held the first official Christian service in New Zealand, using the text '
“Behold, I bring you glad tidings of great joy” (Luke 2:10).'.

There is a beautiful New Zealand Christmas Carol, Te Harinui, which was written by Willow Macky to commemorate this event. 'Te Harinui' translates into English as 'Great Joy'.


Te Harinui


Not on a snowy night by star or candlelight;
Nor by an angel band there came to our dear land.

Te Harinui, Te Harinui
Te Harinui, glad tidings of great joy.

But on a summer day, within a quiet bay,
The Maori people heard the great and glorious word.

Te Harinui, Te Harinui
Te Harinui, glad tidings of great joy.

The people gathered round upon a grassy ground,
And heard the preacher say, "I bring to you this day:"

Te Harinui, Te Harinui
Te Harinui, glad tidings of great joy.

Now in this blessed land united heart and hand,
We praise the glorious birth and sing to all the earth:

Te Harinui, Te Harinui
Te Harinui, glad tidings of great joy, glad tidings of great joy.

______________________________________

Its a wonderful simple hymn, and always spells Christmas to me. Our children at end of year school assembly would sing it beautifully, it suits childrens voices.

I don't have a link to it other than this one which is not the best:

http://www.geocities.com/farrellfamily/xmas5.html

2 comments:

Candygirlflies said...

This is WONDERFUL, Mrinz... so interesting.

I'm hot on the trail of a recording of this carol... I'll let you know when I get it!!

Thank you.

xo CGF

merinz said...

Wow however would you find one? In Canada?