Thursday, December 6, 2007

Sewing bee





























A very mundane subject!

With three grandchildren, a two year old and 7 month old twins, bibs are in high demand, especially for the babies who are teething and dribbling! So while it has been raining and I have been confined indoors, I have been busy making some out of double thickness toweling.

The bibs in the shops are too thin and are soaked in no time at all. The ones with plastic backing are not suitable for the clothes drier, so hopefully these ones will be effective.

The first photo is the 'work station', the second photo shows some of my works of art.

9 comments:

Candygirlflies said...

Gorgeous! What a good grandmother you are...

How was the beach house? Hope the deck is coming along nicely.

xo CGF

Candygirlflies said...

Oh! And I just noticed that we have the same sergers!! Now THAT is a tool I couldn't live without...

merinz said...

sergers? I am puzzling over that one? hehe scanning the pics for something that looks remotely like a serger??

Unknown said...

Oh, how I envy you!!! I wish I could operate a sewing machine as well as you can! I love all things creative and 'crafty', but lack the skills...okay "coordination" to actually make things!

Maybe I'm selling myself short here. I'm not that bad, but my stuff never turns out as nicely as other people's creations! LOL!

BTW, how are the Grandies??? ;)

Candygirlflies said...

What we call a "serger" is the machine behind your (very fancy!) sewing machine... Would you call it an "overlock"?

Mine is an older model Babylock, and I couldn't live without it...

xo CGF

merinz said...

Ahh, mystery solved. Yes we call it an Overlocker. Like you, I wouldn't be without mine.

It is a Bernina Babylock, about 30 years old, heavy as, and runs like a dream. I get it serviced every now and then and the blade sharpened, and it returns full of vigour. However I don't really use it as much these days as I have in the past.

My sewing machine is a new one, have only had it for a few months. I am keen to try quilting and bought it with that in mind. I don't sew much in the way of clothing these days - China provides a dazzling array of affordable ready made clothing.

My very first machine was a Janome and I wore out two motors in it I used to make all our childrens clothing and much of mine also.

My next machine was an Elna which I have just retired. Will probably pass it on to my daughter.

Candygirlflies said...

This is just too funny, Mrinz...

You and I have the same overlock machine, and the same favourite old sewing machine. My very first machine was a re-conditioned Janome that my mother gave me for my 16th birthday. It is actually called "The Debutante Model", and only goes forwards, backwards, and zigzag... but it is the best stitcher, bar none, of all the machines I have ever used over the course of my life!

My mother has an elna, and it is the machine I first learned on.

What is your new model? It looks extremely fancy-- did it take much learning to figure out all the computerized stitching? I've looked into buying a new machine, but am always a bit daunted by the series of lessons that shops offer in conjunction with the purchase!!

xo CGF

merinz said...

Chrissy - I am sure that you would be more than capable of operating a sewing machine! A few tips from an old hand and you would be away, especially if you enjoy doing craft work, you would have the right 'eye' for it.

Candy - that is so amazing. I thought that my little old Babylock must be the last one left on earth, with the rest of them used as landfill!

My Elna was one of the very first computerized models and I have had quite a lot of trouble with it over the years. It is a small very portable machine and will still be useful to pack up and take away to the family if they have a pile of mending, or to the beach if I need to make curtains etc.

The new Janome is a model 6600. I had one lesson at the shop but haven't been back for any more. The instruction book is very clear - so far so good. I haven't really tried to do anything too fancy yet.

One feature that I DO enjoy is the automatic thread cutter. It is just magic, saves hunting around for the threads to cut at the end of a seam.

merinz said...

I forgot to mention - The Janome doesnt have a free arm so mending sleeves, shortening trouser/jeans legs is a problem. Another reason i have kept the old Elna.