Sunday, December 9, 2007

Reflections on Growing Older

Friends send me by email lots of funny jokes, wise sayings, corny jokes, off beat jokes, funny video clips, power point presentations etc.

There seem to be a lot lately about various aspects of growing old! I really don't need to be reminded that the years are passing by - and hey - I am NOT OLD, just because I am newly retired doesn't mean that life is nearly over! I am planning to be around for at least another 25 years. And hopefully in the good health that I enjoy at the moment.

Usually I read them, have a chuckle, or reflect on the message for a while, then delete them and forget them. Needless to say, some are deleted without much reflection.

Anyway - every now and then though there is an email that strikes a chord and one I will remember.

This is part of one I received yesterday. I won't post the whole message but part of it said:

'Old age is like a bank account, you withdraw in later life what you have deposited along the way.'

That is so true - on many levels - personal and health wise.

PS I would love to post a photo of an elderly relative of mine whose 'bank account' is in the millions. But she would be cross with me!

No comments: