
Isn't he/she cute? I have just come inside after an hour or two out in the garden and felt that awful feeling when something is crawling around your neck.
It was this little traveller - a praying mantis. Probably a female actually as she looks as if she will soon be laying her egg case. It is a real nuisance when they lay their egg case inside the house, the curtains are a favourite place, as they leave a mark that is nigh on impossible to get out.
4 comments:
I would die if I felt one of those crawling on my neck!! Living here does have one advantage then!
She's very pretty though.
It did give me a fright although I suspected that was what it was.
Could also have been a cockroach. We have these huge big flat cockroaches that live out in the bark. Creepy.
However unlike Australia we don't have any real dangerous nasties.
After last summer, I have come to love praying mantes... We're hoping to hatch another egg case out in our garden later this spring. They turned out to be such a tremendous help with all the nastier, peskier insects!
I was just amazed by these fully-grown creatures, and couldn't get over their beautiful faces; I loved the way their heads would swivel from side-to-side to watch me as I worked in the garden. They look like something out of science fiction... But aren't they beautiful??
xo CGF
I'd still rather have a dog in the house - pretty or not!
Post a Comment