Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Letters from my Father - written 1940-45





















These are some extracts from some of my Father's letters home when he was stationed in the Middle East during the Second World War.

"The first few weeks were the worst. I know a good many times I felt like giving way to tears, I used to go and sit by myself a lot and think that was the worst thing I could do."

“The chaps who came over with me are holding a reunion in Cairo on Wednesday – two years in Egypt. I always thought reunions were happy events but I fail to see what we have to be happy about but I guess we are ‘sand happy’ by now so it won’t matter that much. Really a chap should dress up in black and go there crying because we have lost something dear to us – about 10 years of our lives – but still I suppose worry won’t win the war will it.”

“I must thank you for all the lovely parcels you have sent me I will never forget them as long as I live I can tell you. Things at home worry me a lot now. Since I have had malaria I can’t sleep like I used to and you remember how I could do that don’t you. In all ways my health isn’t as good as it was. The treatment they gave me is severe and it upset my stomach and really it hasn’t been the same since but I hope it gets better soon. So not being able to sleep too good I often lay awake and its then my thoughts turn to troubles at home. "

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

How lovely that you have these letters still, despite the sadness they must bring. I have nothing as both my Grandfathers worked down the coalmines through the war.

I remember my Nana telling me stories of children coming to live with them, and queuing up for banana's for hours.

Those letters must be very precious to you.

merinz said...

These letters are very precious. They were actually the ones he sent to his sister, she gave them to me before she died.

He does not write very openly in most of them as they were heavily censored and also he did not want to worry the family. References were often couched in code ie when they were going into battle he referred to going 'over the hill' or 'over the top'.

They are the only letters we have as after my Father died my Mother destroyed all the letters he had sent to her during the long years he was away. I guess it is fair enough as they were private.

merinz said...

PS I am away now until next week hence the posting for ANZAC day is a little early!

Candygirlflies said...

This was a wonderfully interesting read, Mrinz. Thank you so much for sharing a little bit of your father-- and your country's history-- with all of us.

xo CGF