This is a King Protea flower, complete with resident bee.
The flowers measure around 30cm (12 - 14 inches) across so are one of the largest in the garden. They are beautiful. Bees find them very attractive also and there are often lots of bees buried deep in the middle of the flowers.
5 comments:
Oh! My! WORD!!!
Incredible....
Was this one from your garden?
xo CGF
Oh yes it is one of our plants in our garden at the beach.
Protea's like coastal situations ie poor soil and dry conditions. Salt laden winds are not so good though.
They originate from South Africa where they apparently grow on the bare mountainsides. I would love to see them in the wild.
That's huuuuuuge!
You take some beautiful photo's Mrinz. I have an image of you in my mind, strolling around your home and garden looking at all the things a lot of people take for granted. I have to admit, I don't normally spend time looking at flowers in detail, but I will (when we get some!)
It's been a beautiful week here though. Very warm - and sunny too. However it's supposed to turn back to wintery showers for the weekend. From 14 to 4 degrees!!! Poor garden doesn't know it's arm from it's elbow at the moment.
Thank you Tismee for your comments. I love photography and always look at things with an image in mind of what sort of photo it may make. (did that make sense??)
My garden is not a 'showpiece' type of garden, weeds do thrive also, but it is a source of great pleasure for me to grow things. I was raised on a farm and you never take the farm out of a person. Ever.
Summer will appear for you soon! I have been in the UK during some beautiful summers - the first was the summer of '69 - they even wrote a song about it! I was young and had a ball with a group of us traveling together.
Next visit was summer of '98, then again just a few years ago - 2006. I will probably be back again soon, either later this year or perhaps in your spring next year.
Wow! That is quite spectacular!
The flower is beautiful, and you are a wonderful photographer! You are so fortunate to have the climate to grow things year-round!!! Our winters here are quite long! It's time to start my seedlings in the greenhouse now though!
BTW, I've posted some photos of our calves. They're absolutely darling!
Post a Comment