Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Ellerslie International Flower Show









































The tiler has departed, the kitchen, dining room and entrance are all finished, life is returning to normal. I will post some photos of the finished rooms when the furniture is all back in place.

Tomorrow I am off to Auckland until the weekend, the highlight of my trip will be a visit to the Ellerslie International Flower Show.

Every year, for five days during November, the grounds of Auckland's Botanical Gardens in Manurewa are transformed into a plant paradise with thousands of glorious blooms, a selection of spectacular show gardens and some of the finest examples of horticultural excellence in the world.

This annual event, which is becoming more and more popular each year, acts as a showcase for the most talented garden designers. The show gardens, displays and exhibits at the Ellerslie International Flower Show are always something special.

Its a wonderful day out, as well as gardens and displays to look at, there is also entertainment - last year I watched a very talented Polynesion group perform dances and songs, a barbeque cooking demonstration, and floral art demonstrations.

The theme for the floral art competition was 'Year of the Veteran', I have posted a photo of the winning entry. The photo of the 'bee' car was one of the winning garden displays.

Last year I was lucky to be able to attend the mecca for gardeners - the Chelsea Flower Show in London. Will do a post on that another time.

4 comments:

Candygirlflies said...

I could swear that you write this blog just for ME... What heaven to go to an enormous flower show!! I hope you enjoy yourself tremendously, and look forward to a full report upon your return.

I NEED that bee car... Wonder if it "flies"? (And could I get enough car-seats into the back??)

Congratulations on the completion of the renovations! How wonderful to be able to tidy up, and move back in! It will be a pleasure to cook, now, for sure. Do I remember you saying that the decorating stage is next? Paint or paper?? Can't wait for photos!

We'll miss you while you're gone, but wish you a wonderful trip!

xo CGF

merinz said...

I too wanted the little buzzy bee car. I wonder if it will be back this year. However I am 'off' bees at the moment (see earlier posting re bees!)

I am away now, see you next week!!!

Unknown said...

Oh, I would just LOVE to go to a flower show like that! I used to go to flower shows with my Dad. I don't know if I actually loved gardening so much when I was a kid or if it was my way of just getting some time with Dad. He enjoyed the company and seemed thrilled to see me express an interest in his hobby. I love going to orchid shows with him. That's heaps of fun!

Speaking of plants...My kittens have been attempting to "go" in my huge flower pots inside the house!!! I have one with a Buddha Bamboo in it and another with a 3 ft. tall palm tree in it. The kittens are going in there and peeing! Any ideas on how to stop them?

merinz said...

Ohh Chrissy - kittens are little monkeys aren't they!

I remember buying ornamental stones and putting them on top of the soil around the plants when we also had a kitten with bad habits. That worked as they didn't like the feel of the stones.

The other trick is to poke lots of upright sticks around the plant but that doesnt look too attractive.