Friday, November 9, 2007

Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow





























This little shrub is one of my favourites - it is called Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow. (Brunfelsia latifolia). It flowers profusely with flowers of three colours, Yesterday's flower is white/pale lilac and is starting to look tatty, Todays flower is a little darker - sort of mid purple, and Tomorrow's flower is a deep purple.

2 comments:

Candygirlflies said...

Beautiful! How long does the plant bloom? Does it ever go "dormant"? And, does it need to be fertililzed to help keep the blossoms going?

I'm always struggling to find a way of keeping blossoms going at all times in my garden... Still just learning what-blooms-when, and what to plant next to each other, for maximum effect. It sounds like this bush would be a wonderful addition to any garden-- and WHAT COLOUR...

xo CGF

merinz said...

Yes the colours are just beautiful and quite unique really with the three shades on one bush.

I will try to answer your questions - it is a slow growing smallish shrub, it blooms from spring to autumn with the spring flowering being the most plentiful. The dormant time would be the winter. it is evergreen though.

I have never ever given it any fertilizer!

You can also get a variety that has a beautiful perfume. Mine is not the perfumed one, I was given it as a seedling by my neighbour and have grown one or two other seedlings since.

Small plants pop up occasionally. Wish you were in the same town and I would give you one.

I have no idea if it would grow in your climate but I think it is fairly hardy.

I have just googled it and found that in colder climates it will lose its leaves. AND I have found out that it is poisonous!!!! OOPs, I didn't know that. Apparently especially the seeds.

Hmm will have to watch this one carefully.