Where do I start to describe the Garden Show?
I had a wonderful day there, weather was great, warm but not too hot.
The show is in several different sections: - there are the show gardens which are plots of land that are landscaped by professionals to a theme; then there are several large marquees, one is the floral art tent with all the displays by various art clubs and societies, the Yates tent with displays by gardening clubs and interest groups ie Lily society, Rose groups, Orchid society, Forest and bird, etc.
There is a Junior/Student landscaping display, displays of garden art by schools, this year there was also a scarcrow competition for schools.
And of course the retailers are there - some selling all sorts of gardening products, and growers/nurseries with their plants on display and for sale, and this year there were many stalls selling garden art and sculpture. Some very skilled craftspeople displaying their wares.
The photos I have included are some of the show gardens, and one of me looking hot and tired queuing to get into the floral art tent and wearing The Hat - my daughter would be mortified if she knew I was posting a picture of me wearing it in public! However, there were worse fashion crimes committed that day than my hat.
The last two photos are taken of a display inside one of the tents, it was to promote healthy living and is entirely made up of vegetables (apart from the walls and windows of the house). The chickens are made of onion skins! The roof is cabbage leaves. Click on it it get a closer view. It was very well done.
4 comments:
What fantastic photos!! You must have had a wonderful time. I just LOVE the "healthy living" exhibit-- the sweet potato path rivals the yellow brick road, in my opinion, and those CHICKENS... What a hoot!
Thank you for sharing all of this with us, Mrinz-- you've cheered me right out of a winter "blah".
Tomorrow, first thing, I'm off to search out the perfect pots of poinsettias!! Have you seen the gorgeous, velvety dark-purple varity? They're hard to come by here, but I'm determined to find some...
Lots of love to you-- CGF xo
Dark purple poinsettias!! They sound most exotic, I have never seen any. It is flowering time for them now here so I must scout around the garden centres and see if they have reached NZ.
I could have stared at the Vege (and fruit)house for much longer as the more I looked I noticed some of the little touches, there is a snail tucked away there, also a caterpillar.
But unfortunately the crowds of people around me were pressing in and I had to move on like an obedient bystander.
Beautiful! I am so jealous! Your photos make me want to hide out in NZ for the winter! We don't have snow yet (at least not where I live), but once it's here, it won't leave until April or so! LOL!
But I love snow!!
My year spent in Quesnel, BC had an especially cold winter and was an amazing experience for a person who had never even seen falling snow!
I had walked around in snow as a youngster when I visited Mt Ruapehu but it was icey and hard packed, nothing at all like the snow I experienced in BC.
Post a Comment