





The koru is the Maori name given to the newborn, unfurling fern frond and symbolizes life, growth, strength and peace. It is an integral symbol in Maori carving and tattoos.
It is a very emotive and powerful symbol to all New Zealanders, Maori and Pakeha alike, and appears often in all aspects of our culture and art. It is a popular symbol for many forms of jewellery.
The photos are of unfurling fern fronds from my garden and some more pieces of garden art where the koru has been used.
Our Air New Zealand uses the koru on the tail as their logo.
5 comments:
What an amazing post! I've seen that Maori symbol before. I love the details you gave about the symbol. Beautiful!
What wonderful imagery... I love it. I have always been very fond of what I know as "French curves" in design (but of course, now I recognize the true symbolism!!)
We actually eat what we call "fiddleheads" here. They are edible, immature fern-fronds, and when cooked properly, are absolutely delicious (smothered with butter, salt and pepper). Do you eat them in NZ, or would that be considered a sacrelidge??
Thank you for this, Mrinz. I noticed the beautiful, curly garden statues you photographed at the garden show, and wondered about them. I'll have to search some out for my garden in the spring... once everything has thawed out once more!!
xo CGF
Hi Candy - I love the name - fiddleheads!
The immature fronds of some ferns here are eaten, especially fronds from the 'hen and chicken' fern.(So called because as well as having spores to reproduce like normal ferns, it has little baby ferns - chickens - growing on the fronds). I haven't actually eaten them, apparently they taste like asparagus. I will post a pic of them.
It's interesting how those photos relate. Very good.
http://organizeddoodles.blogspot.com/
Hi Chrissy and also thanks to Rick for stopping by! Please visit again.
The koru appears over and over again in all walks of life here.
Post a Comment