Thursday, November 8, 2007

Busy, Busy

We have had our home invaded in the last few months with a complete kitchen and dining room remodel.

We have had the usual tradesmen - joiner, plumber, electrician, rangehood installer, and now we have the tiler.

I have to say, although he is a most pleasant man, he creates a mess! Lifting the old floor coverings and sanding the floor produced a fine dust all over the house. Then after the tiles went down in the kitchen we couldn't walk in there and were forced (no great hardship though hehe) to go out for dinner to the local Thai restaurant.

The next task is to choose wallcoverings, install glass behind the hob, tile the bench upstand, blinds for the windows - the end is almost in sight - almost.

My 1970's kitchen is almost into the new millennium.

2 comments:

Candygirlflies said...

Yay, you!! It takes a brave couple to embark on such an extensive renovation...

We updated our horrifying 1980's kitchen four years ago... in the middle of winter. The whole room was stripped right down to the studs, during one of the coldest Januaries I can remember. I was cooking on a tiny hotplate, and washing dishes in the bathroom sink for MONTHS while everything was being torn-out and replaced.

The amount of dust was unholy-- even though our wonderful builders put up extensive amounts of plastic sheeting as "walls" to keep it from spreading throughout the house (since my kids and I have asthma, they tried to be especially careful). But, NOTHING stops drywall dust... except humidity!! I put our 20-gallon humidifier on, full-blast, day and night, and was simply amazed at how quickly the dust settled out of the air. I was constantly vaccuming and whipping around with the ostrich feather duster, but it beats breathing the stuff!!

Hope you'll publish some photos of the finished rooms! Wishing you lots of love and luck!!

CGF xo

merinz said...

Thanks for the good wishes Candy - sounds like you have walked in my shoes!

That fine dust from sanding is horrific. I don't have a humidifier, but being summer I have been able to have the doors and windows open and a breeze going through.

Yes I will post some photos when it is finished but won't be this side of Christmas!

We take ages and ages to make up our minds re colours etc and we will be lucky to get a painter at this stage. Then here everyone goes on holiday in January.

However I will post some progress photos on soon. When the tiler is finished which will be early next week.