Hi Fi. No not natives. They are mostly bromeliads which do not tolerate frosts terribly well. I have to watch them carefully in the winter and keep them sheltered.
Actually there are some native plants in the photos - in the first photo the bushy plant on the skyline is a Puka, the third photo has a Renga Lily in the top left corner, and the last two photos have an Astelia in the background.
We do have a large number of native plants through out the garden, one day I will post some photos of them.
Jinksy - yes I realise that the bluebells look a little out of place! But that is indicative of my garden - I have an eclectic mix of plants from all parts of the world. My garden is by no means a conventional one with a common theme. It has modern elements but a cottage garden look as well. And it has lots of weeds that love it here.
Veronica - yes the bromeliads like being in containers, they love a bit of stress, and are easier to care for and display if I can shift them around out of range of frosts. I do have some planted in the soil in other locations.
7 comments:
Amazing plants! Are they all natives? Quite different to down here!
Hi Fi. No not natives. They are mostly bromeliads which do not tolerate frosts terribly well. I have to watch them carefully in the winter and keep them sheltered.
Actually there are some native plants in the photos - in the first photo the bushy plant on the skyline is a Puka, the third photo has a Renga Lily in the top left corner, and the last two photos have an Astelia in the background.
We do have a large number of native plants through out the garden, one day I will post some photos of them.
Beautiful!
How did daintly bluebells creep in among all those exotics?!
Stunning container garden, Merinz!
Jinksy - yes I realise that the bluebells look a little out of place! But that is indicative of my garden - I have an eclectic mix of plants from all parts of the world. My garden is by no means a conventional one with a common theme. It has modern elements but a cottage garden look as well. And it has lots of weeds that love it here.
Veronica - yes the bromeliads like being in containers, they love a bit of stress, and are easier to care for and display if I can shift them around out of range of frosts. I do have some planted in the soil in other locations.
Post a Comment