Friday, August 1, 2008

Storms are over but now the Ants have invaded us.












The rain has stopped, the storms have passed - two in five days.

We are very lucky not to have been flooded or affected in any way. Our trees have lost a few small branches, but thats all.

Many people throughout all of New Zealand have had their homes flooded, blown apart, or damaged by landslides and slips. Many have no power and won't for days as workers strive to repair the damage.

But we have a new problem to contend with - an ant invasion!

The entire ant population of our back yard has decided that our house looks drier and more comfortable than their quarters. All through the kitchen they have marched, some taking up residence along the way. They seem to have taken a liking to my stove and some are camped in behind it. I use the word 'camped' because they needn't think this is permanent!

Need I say more. The odd ant or two I can deal with and they don’t faze me out at all, but armies of them I object to!

The battle lines are drawn and its one all at the moment.

3 comments:

Candygirlflies said...

So glad you have "weathered" the storm, Mrinz... But I'm sorry about the ants. We have tiny ones arrive here like clockwork every spring, and I have to put "traps" just outside our doors and windows in order to attempt to get rid of them.

The other bug I battle regularly is the dreaded fruit fly-- or should I say, FLIES... because there are always about a million of them, whenever they "get started". I put out a splash of white wine in a glass, with saran wrap over the top of it. I poke a few holes in the saran, and once trapped inside, the flies cannot seem to get out! A friend put me on to that trick a few years ago. But, it seems like a terrible waste of wine, to me!!

xo CGF

merinz said...

Hi Candy - we use a kind of ant bait that they fed on and take back to the nests. I also use 'Ant Sand' which I sprinkle in the cracks in the cobblestones. I dont think that is as effective. And the rain washes it all away!

We don't have fruit flies in any great numbers thank goodness. It sounds a novel way to get rid of them using wine! I will have to google 'saran wrap' - I wonder if it is what we call Glad wrap, a thin plastic film for wrapping around food.

Anonymous said...

Sorry about the ants. I don't like a mass of creepie crawlies around but don't like killing things either.

So I too googled Saran wrap and Glad wrap and can add to this 'Cling Film' - which is what we brits call it.

Now we can say we are multi lingual.