


I have just received a heartfelt text from our youngest son who has now arrived in the UK. "Its freezing here - can you send me some Possum Merino gloves please!"
So on my way back from our Easter break at the beach I stopped by the Merino shop and bought him these. Possumdown gloves are extremely warm.
They are made of a blend of possum fur and superfine merino wool and are unique to New Zealand. They are 50% Merino wool, 40% Possum fur, and 10% Nylon.
The Brushtail Possum was introduced from Australia sometime last century and rapidly became a pest. About 80 million of these nocturnal marsupials cause enormous damage to our forests and native birds. We are all a bit indifferent to a possums endearing qualities! (likewise with rabbits.)
In Australia they are a protected animal but in New Zealand they have multiplied horrendously and are a pest we could do without. The fur for the wool comes from trapped wild animals, they are not allowed to be farmed.
Possums would be our most common 'roadkill' animal, often found on country roads having been hit by a vehicle. Their fur is usually a dark rich reddish brown although some are lighter in colour. Being a marsupial they carry their little one in their pouch. They are a different animal from the American possum which I believe is more like a rodent.
7 comments:
This is so interesting to my girlies and me-- we have been taking knitting classes together, and have yet to find any possum wool in our local shop!!
I'll ask the owner about it, though... I wonder if she has ever heard of it??!
I'd LOVE to make some nice warm socks to see us through our current storm!!
Glad to hear you had a good Easter at the Beach!
xo CGF
Oh wow- so these are possum gloves. They do look very cosy, and I'm sure he'll be wearing them a while yet!
Wonder if you can buy them on the net?
http://www.merinopossum.co.nz/product_range.htm
I found this site where it is possible to purchase the wool.
A google search also shows several sites where ready made garments can be purchased - they are quite expensive.
They are incredibly soft and cosy.
Better than cashmere, I wonder??
I'm such a sucker for soft, soft woolies...
xo CGF
WOW! I learn something new EVERY time I pop by your blog! I had no idea that possum down was used and that it was really warm!!! Very interesting post!
I posted about composting and vermicomposting on my blog and on the green blog I co-host...and it didn't generate ANY interest. So sad! :( It seems readers of the green blog are more interested in green fashion (environmentally friendly shoes, bags and clothing) and cosmetics, and not in recycling, composting, gardening, do-it-yourself ideas and green at home stuff.
Thanks for that Mrinz, will go and have a look. I rather fancy some possum-wear.
Just discovered your blog. Hope you all found the wool in your local stores. It is now out there with silk in it...really gorgeous and xtra soft.
Post a Comment