Monday, March 17, 2008

Bargain hunting




















Inspired by Tismee's post I have to show you our bargains. My daughter and I went off to the second hand (junk) shops in Whangamata and found some treasures.

She likes 'retro' china and found this dear little blue carnival glass bowl and a vase. Carnival glass is sometimes called depression glass as it is from the depression era. The vase has a pattern etched into the side.

She also bought an old mirror with an outline of a lady in a crinoline dress etched into one corner. It is quite striking and when she eventually gets a home of her own will be quite a talking piece. For the moment it hangs in our bach!

3 comments:

Candygirlflies said...

Beautiful finds!! I, too, am a collector of depression glass...

If your vase has a pattern etched into it, it might well be something called "Elegant Glass", which is basically depression glass with added hand-finishing. You chose well-- the colours of pink, green, and BLUE seem to be the most desirable, and are therefore more valuable to collectors!!

I would love to see your daughter's little lady one day, if you have a photograph!!

xo CGF

merinz said...

Candy - I love the rich colours of depression glass. I am so pleased that our daughter is developing an appreciation of things past!

I will take a photo of the mirror this weekend.

Anonymous said...

I rather enjoyed my morning at the sunday market - now seeing your bargains I may go back there soon.