Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Do you or Don't you?















There is a custom here in New Zealand to take our shoes off and leave them by the door when entering a dwelling. Not everyone complies, but probably around 85 - 90% do.

I am not sure how the custom originated but as a child my family always took our shoes off when entering the house. I was raised on a farm so we would have been wearing gumboots or had dirty shoes.

But households in town do the same, my own family always remove their shoes as do most visitors. In the winter we wear slippers or socks around inside the house, in the summer everyone is barefoot.

On a marae (Maori meeting place) it is customary for all to remove footwear before entering. It is extremely bad manners not to.

What is the custom in your house?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We do a bit of both. Having dogs and kids and wooden flooring I can't be bothered unless I have muddy shoes.
However, If I visit other people and they have shoes by the door I take mine off. Sort of a 'test the water' thing. Sometimes they say it's ok not to.
As I tend to have cold feet - even in summer I rather like to keep my shoes on!

I'll remember that though when I finally get to have a vacation in the southern hemisphere!

Candygirlflies said...

No shoes in our house!!

Of course, in winter, the footwear is so enormous and covered with snow and ice, we haven't much choice... We replace our boots with big fuzzy slippers that have been warming by the grate in our absence.

In summer, my girlies and I very often go barefoot in the garden, but we rinse our feet with the hose before coming inside! Otherwise, we wear flip-flops or clogs, and always remove them before coming indoors.

I find that this tradition simply keeps the house tidier! And, it is a sign of respect to the house keeper (ME!) not to trek outside dirt around on the floors...

Whenever we visit other people's houses, I believe that the "rule of thumb" is to OFFER to remove footwear before entering the house. If the host says that the wearing of shoes indoors is ok, then the guest can make the choice (I always take my shoes off).

xoxo CGF