Monday, March 17, 2008

Rural scene










A typical rural scene in the Hinuera valley as I was driving home yesterday - a farmer on his quad bike bringing the cows in for milking.

The Waikato is still looking very dry as they have not had nearly enough rain this summer to sustain a good pasture. Normally the valley is lush with summer feed.

Many farmers have had to give the animals hay and silage which would normally be held for the winter months. Some have dried off their stock earlier than normal as non lactating cows don't have such a high food requirement.

2 comments:

Candygirlflies said...

Lucky cows.

The Holstiens who are out to pasture this morning in the field a block N of our house are shivering in their hooves-- and it's only -7 C!!

xo CGF

merinz said...

Candy - I hadn't pictured you living in a rural setting! Are the Holsteins black and white? I think they are similar to what we call here Fresians.

They would be wintered indoors in the cooler months?