Sunday, March 30, 2008

Roast Veges















My roast veges that I prepared for dinner tonight looked so colourful I thought that I would share them with you!

In the pan I have baby onions, Maori potatoes, pumpkin, white potatoes, and kumera. I sometimes also add (if they are in season) parsnips, yams, other varieties of kumera(sweet potato), capsicum, and carrots.

I cut them into small pieces and coat them well in this mixture:

2 Tbs oil,
3Tbs lemon juice,
1 Tbs brown sugar,
1 tsp ground cumin,
1 tsp basil,
1 tsp salt.

They take about 40 minutes to bake in a 200 degree C oven.

I am cooking far too much for the two of us, but the left overs will make a very nice salad (or reheated) for dinner tomorrow night.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

We had roasted veg for dinner last night too! Ours didn't have those lovely purple potatoes in it though. We also have leftovers for today - although no idea what we will do with them yet!
Gail

Candygirlflies said...

Could you describe what capsicum is, please, Mrinz? And, have you harvested all of this from your own garden? It all looks so delicious...

We, too, LOVE pumpkin, and make pies with it all the time... not just at Christmas and Thanksgiving. It's just too delicious not to eat it all year 'round!! I use pureed pumpkin in my pies, but I understand that you can peel them and slice them up much like apple and bake it like that, too.

When I roast vegetables, it's usually mixed with with chunks of boneless, skinless chicken breast. I also use several varieties of peppers (for colour-- we don't have your gorgeous potatoes here), a sliced up fennel bulb, some good olive oil, and a lot of s, p, and BASIL... Yum.

I had never thought to use cumin-- must try it next time!

Thank you for this-- SO interesting!

xo CGF

xo CGF

merinz said...

Hi Tismee and Candy - thank you for your comments.

Capsicums are peppers - red, green, yellow or orange.They make lots of colour.

I would love to say all the veges came from my garden - but no! Only the two varieties of potato. I did grow a capsicum plant this year but have already eaten the few that were on it. I would love to grow kumera but they take up a lot of room, likewise pumpkins.

I am not a fan of pumkin just by itself but love it in a pie, or especially pumpkin soup! My son makes the best pumpkin soup - he makes a big pot and freezes portions so we often have soup when we visit.

He also uses the thickened soup for a pasta dish along with bacon, or chicken pieces and cashew nuts.

Unknown said...

Wow! That certainly is colourful! It looks delicious, Mrinz! :) Much of what you listed are things that we don't get here...like your Maori potatoes, kumera, capsicum...
We have some root vegetables that are similar, but not as exotic sounding as yours!!

merinz said...

Chrissy - I should have translated as you do have some of those ingredients: -

kumera - sweet potoato - there are several varieties, purple, gold and orange. I saw them in Canada labelled as Taro. BUT they are not taro - taro is a very large root vegetable grown in the Pacific islands.

Capsicums - bell peppers - red, green, yellow or orange.