Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Goodbyes















I have been away again, taking two of our sons up to Auckland for farewells at the airport. One going back to London, he has been there already for two years. And our youngest also heading off on his OE and also going to England for his first big venture away from NZ.

They are returning to their roots when they go to England, their forebears left there in their small boats at various times in the 1800's. The first were missionaries in 1818, others came later in 1842 and 1843 as settlers -stonemasons, farmers, carpenters, blacksmiths, ministers and lay preachers.

They too would have left families behind, in their case many never ever saw their family again.

At least, today, I know that our children will return. It is sad to have to say goodbye, but they need to leave New Zealand and have their own adventures. It is something of a tradition here now for our young people to leave the country. We are just a small country and relatively isolated. We have to leave the place and look at it from a distance.

We have to leave in order to find ourselves, find our place in the world, and many of us, as I did 38 years ago, return. When we return we generally do so knowing that this is where we want to be.

We have seen what the world has to offer, we have lived amongst other people, other cultures, but when we want to raise a family we return home like nesting birds.

This is home. Our turangawaewae.

Tūrangawaewae is one of the most well-known and powerful Māori concepts. Literally tūranga (standing place), waewae (feet), it is often translated as ‘a place to stand’. Tūrangawaewae are places where we feel especially empowered and connected. They are our foundation, our place in the world, our home.

3 comments:

Candygirlflies said...

Beautiful, Mrinz... as usual.

I know you will miss your boys, but it is so lovely that they have each other "over there"! And they will miss you-- and NZ-- too.

Love to you-- CGF xo

Anonymous said...

I know there are lots of negative things about England at the moment, and many of us would love to move abroad for what we see as a 'better lifestyle'. But sometimes I think we just haven't explored our own country enough to find the ideal place to be.

I would love to visit NZ, have done for years, but now I have spent time in the Scottish Borders am less keen to move there permanently as a 'better' life could be right on my doorstep!

Hope your sons get chance to come 'Up North' to see the beautiful countryside here.

merinz said...

Candy - Yes the younger one will be staying with his brother until the job situation is sorted. He has some job interviews to attend so hopefully he will be in a position soon to go looking for a flat with others.

I am being a bit dramatic about their departure - with MS messenger, skype and text messaging there is plenty of contact!

Tismee - the Scottish borders area sounds beautiful. In fact I love England! I am looking forward to another visit sometime in the next year and will make sure I venture 'up north'.

NZ has its problems also - I could write at length about them! Many, many NZers are leaving here to go and live in Australia where wages are higher and housing much more affordable.