Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Another new fruit











































There was an item on the TV news last week about a new type of peach that is now on sale in our fruit shops and supermarkets. They are called Flattos and are really a peach but grow in a flat shape with a very small stone. They are packaged in a pack stacked neatly on their sides and are marketed as being very suitable for childrens packed school lunches.

Of course I had to try some! And they are very sweet and juicy with a typical peach flavour. I think that they will be popular for their novelty value, convenience for people who have to carry a packed lunch, and of course for their lovely peach flavour. They are also easy to eat as you sort of eat them like a doughnut!

I have found a website which gives more information about the Flatto peach.

http://www.flatto.co.nz/index.html

6 comments:

ewe are here said...

Practical and yummy, what could be better? :-)

Candygirlflies said...

They sound delightful!!

Peaches in March... Mrinz, I am now convinced more than EVER that you are living in paradise.

xoxo CGF

ps. Were you away visiting the grandchildren? I missed you! Hope all is well.

merinz said...

Hi Ewe and Candy - soon we will be in the middle of a wet and miserable winter longing for fresh sweetcorn and ripe peaches! And you will have to write lots of posts about your summer.

I have been away but not just with the grandies, we have one of our children back visiting from the UK, he returns to London on Friday 7th, and our youngest son joins him on Monday 10th.

Hmm I can feel a trip coming on....... a holiday in the Northern Hemisphere.

Anonymous said...

I love peaches, but not how they drip down your arm! These do sound nice? Do you have teams of 'fruit inventors' down there? Our fruit just comes in standard form!

merinz said...

Tismee - actually we do have 'fruit inventors'. It is a govt dept called 'Hort Research'.

They are always looking at new varieties of all fruit grown here. One of their new varieties of apple, 'Pacific Rose' is a relatively recent variety of apple they have bred.

merinz said...

I have found a website with more information on the Flatto peach.