Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Autumn fruit - apples, kiwifruit, nashis.....and feijoas!



We have a variety of fruit that ripen in the autumn growing either at home or out on our orchard which is a few miles out of town.

We have two varieties of apple - Golden Delicious and Gala, nashi pears, kiwifruit - (just 14 acres), figs, and....... feijoas.

Oh I love feijoas. They have a tropical taste, a little like guava, a little like pineapple, and are very aromatic. In fact, at the moment we have a bag of them in the pantry and you can smell them throughout the house! A tangy fruity smell. How I wish I could send some to you all.

They are about as big as a kiwifruit, and you eat them in the same way, cut them in half and scoop the fruit out with a teaspoon.

However they are not a fruit that everyone likes. I am the only one in our family who eats them. The trees are prolific bearers and it is common to see bags of them on a stand outside houses usually $2 a bag. A tree bears more than a household could possibly eat!

They can be used in cooking - I have made feijoa muffins.And I sometimes cook them and have them on breakfast cereal or make desserts - feijoa crumble with ice cream.

Did I mention that I love feijoas!!!!

5 comments:

Candygirlflies said...

Galas are one of my favourite apples-- so good to eat, and to cook with, I think. I would love to try some of your feijoas-- do you suppose I might find them in a specialty store here?? We are now able to purchase your real NZ kiwifruit...

Merinz, if you have time, would you be able to give us an update on how the people of Christchurch are faring? The Japanese earthquake news seems to have overshadowed NZ news over here. I'm hoping that relief efforts continue, and the clean-up has begun... xoxo CGF

merinz said...

Candy - you would love feijoas. Have you tried the gold kiwifruit yet>

re Christchurch - it is not good. many people are struggling. The initial euphoria of being unhurt (for some) has worn off and the realities of living with no sewerage, power cuts, and continual aftershocks, is starting to tell on nerves. There was a very severe aftershock last week which did yet more damage to buildings and nerves too.

Some areas of the city are more affected than others.

merinz said...

My relatives in Christchurch have damaged houses, one has had her house 'red stickered' ie it is not livable. Temporary housing is planned, at the moment they are staying with her husbands parents. The council have hired camper vans for some families who have no where to go and they have set up a 'camper van' village in a park.

Fi at Four paws and whiskers is a vet who lives in Chch and gives a better picture of life there.

http://fourpawsandwhiskers.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Feijoas!!! Its been so many years since I tasted them. The kids used to love them.

merinz said...

Anonymous - thank you for your comment! Where do you live? You must be somewhere where Feijoas grow - many people have never heard of them!