Soon, soon...spring flowers in Chicago. The crocuses and snow bells are up, we're having occasional very warm days, humidity is higher than it's been in months, the trees have growing swellings on the tips of their twigs. All we need is a sunny day or two and all the rest will burst forth! YES! Thanks, by the way, for the Japanese anemone identification, I took a photo of a garden-full on campus a few springs ago, now I know what they are. Is your climate such that things stop growing in your winter months, or do some flowers and trees continue to bloom and stay green?
Lovely flowers! I'm admiring all the daffodils along the roadsides at the moment and thinking about the garden jobs. Unfortunately the snow and cold winter seems to have killed off our 12 foot Cordalyne in the front garden. We are waiting to see if it recovers but doesn't look good.
Hi Veronica - we have no snow here and although we do have frosts they are not really too severe. So plants keep growing during winter, the lawn has to be mowed, and life goes on. Some plants do slow down their growth but others thrive!
Most of our native trees are evergreen, but of course we do have lots of English and introduced trees that are deciduous.
You must look forward to spring very much! Your seasons are much more defined. Ours are somewhat defined but the edges blur slightly!
Gail - I am amazed that you have a Cordalyne in your garden, I would have thought that they would prefer a warmer climate. Do you call them 'cabbage' trees? There is a native species here, the same as many I saw growing in the UK - mostly in Devon and Cornwall though.
They are called cabbage trees as when the early settlers ate the young shoots they tasted like cabbage.
We have two on our section - they are a nuisance as they shed their leaves and when the lawn is mowed the leaves wrap around the shaft of the lawn mower! However apart from that they re quite a stately tree!
4 comments:
Soon, soon...spring flowers in Chicago. The crocuses and snow bells are up, we're having occasional very warm days, humidity is higher than it's been in months, the trees have growing swellings on the tips of their twigs. All we need is a sunny day or two and all the rest will burst forth! YES!
Thanks, by the way, for the Japanese anemone identification, I took a photo of a garden-full on campus a few springs ago, now I know what they are.
Is your climate such that things stop growing in your winter months, or do some flowers and trees continue to bloom and stay green?
Lovely flowers! I'm admiring all the daffodils along the roadsides at the moment and thinking about the garden jobs. Unfortunately the snow and cold winter seems to have killed off our 12 foot Cordalyne in the front garden. We are waiting to see if it recovers but doesn't look good.
Hi Veronica - we have no snow here and although we do have frosts they are not really too severe. So plants keep growing during winter, the lawn has to be mowed, and life goes on. Some plants do slow down their growth but others thrive!
Most of our native trees are evergreen, but of course we do have lots of English and introduced trees that are deciduous.
You must look forward to spring very much! Your seasons are much more defined. Ours are somewhat defined but the edges blur slightly!
Gail - I am amazed that you have a Cordalyne in your garden, I would have thought that they would prefer a warmer climate. Do you call them 'cabbage' trees? There is a native species here, the same as many I saw growing in the UK - mostly in Devon and Cornwall though.
They are called cabbage trees as when the early settlers ate the young shoots they tasted like cabbage.
We have two on our section - they are a nuisance as they shed their leaves and when the lawn is mowed the leaves wrap around the shaft of the lawn mower! However apart from that they re quite a stately tree!
Post a Comment