Sunday, July 19, 2009

Never burn bread - Earliest Memories

I was talking with a friend the other day about our earliest memories. It is interesting to hear how far back some people can remember. Some say they don't remember much before the age of five.

My early memories are patchy, I can remember lots of incidents in my pre school years but have no memory of my first day at school.

But my earliest memory would be of being at my grandparents house. I was eating a piece of bread, didn't want the crusts, and moved towards the open fireplace to throw them in the fire.

My Grandfather caught my hand and said 'You must never burn bread'. And he said (as he often repeated to me and I learned off by heart later)

"Waste not, want not,
may I never live to say
how I wish I had the bread,
that once I threw away."

I remember being a little frightened as he was usually a quiet man, not given to chastising me.

But quoting poetry was a habit he had.

Another line from a famous poem he would quote was:

"the hand that rocks the cradle rules the world".

What are your earliest memories?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I was about 3 years old, we went to visit my Grandmother in the hospital and I remember how the hallways shone like a golden skating rink. I also remember getting cream of wheat with sugar and cinnamon - but I don't remember that my Mom was also there.

merinz said...

My memories are also selective and miss out some of what seem to be obvious things.

Hmm I wonder if modern day hospitals are as clean and shiny!

Daniel said...

i remember at 2 and a half walking up the stairs of of two story apartment building to visit my mother's mother, yes my grand,,,,she smelled funny{had been drinking } and later listen to my mom saying she died giving birth{ a lie} and said because of the embarassment of her to my mom

Daniel said...

that was the putz up above on my boy's handle