Thursday, July 16, 2009

Earthquake!



We had a major 'shake' last night, way down in the south of the South Island. We never felt it here but it was recorded throughout the South island and as far north as Wellington.

GNS recorded the quake as 6.6 magnitude at 9.22pm followed 20 minutes later by a 6.1 magnitude.

The first of the quakes was 5km deep and was centred 90km north-west of the Southland town of Tuatapere. It began at 9.22pm.

No major building damage has been recorded but it made things fall from shelves and people ran outside in panic.

The quake prompted a Tsunami warning but nothing has eventuated.

4 comments:

Putz said...

it is so goof good to have you back even though i have essentially stopped blogging...embarass everyione when i do,,,tisme2 has given up on me also

merinz said...

Oh putz you cant possibly give up. You still have lots to say!

Unknown said...

Oh, wow! We don't feel earthquakes often where we are. When I was teaching in Japan, however, I experienced a few in the two years I was there.

So good to have you back online :)

merinz said...

Thanks C - its good to be back too. I have missed my internet buddies.