Monday, December 15, 2008

Some facts

Some random facts about the Chatham islands.
*the sun rises first in the world there
*varied and spectacular scenery
*solitude and remoteness.
*fishing, diving and abundant seafood,
*situated at around 44degrees south
*the weather is often windy and wet.
*The Te Whanga lagoon is a major geographical feature, it covers 20,000 hectares and is about one fifth of the island
*Chatham, the largest island has a population of around 695 people,
*no public transport, no taxis.
*about 180 kilometers of roads, mostly gravel.
*freight to the Island is expensive - $200 per cubic metre by ship., $3 a kilo by air.

3 comments:

Candygirlflies said...

Wonderful, Merinz!! Thank you for sharing all of this with us. My parents have been to the islands, and they say that their trip was one of their most memorable travel experinces.

Your photos are great-- I love the rock formations, especially the one with your toes peeking in at the bottom! And, I had never heard the word "fossick" before... I love the way it sounds, and am now off to look it up in the dictionary!!

Glad you're back safely. We missed you!

CGF xoxo

merinz said...

Candy - hehe, I relised I should have cropped that one with my toes in it, but decided what the heck - my toes were part of the scenery at the time! And they were tired and footsore toes from all the walking we had done!

Thank you for the welcome back!

Anonymous said...

You know for years I have tried to remember the name of the place that celebrated the year 2000 first. It was on our News and I can never remember where it was - I know I have some random thoughts sometimes!!

Thank You Merinz - now I know and if I forget I can ask you again.

I love the facts and information you give us about these beautiful places.