Wednesday, December 17, 2008

The Hollyhock story



These plants are not just hollyhocks. They have a story.

I had a very dear elderly friend who was a keen gardener. She grew the most amazing hollyhocks, all self seeded and all in glorious shades of red.
I envied her plants and several times I took the seed home with me, scattered it around the garden but they either never germinated or if they did none ever grew to maturity.

She died two years ago, aged 103. The first spring after she died, all these hollyhocks appeared in my garden, even though it had been a few years since I had planted the seeds.

Now, for the second year I have these beautiful red hollyhocks growing as prolifically in my garden as hers did.

Different garden, but they are my friend's flowers. I have accepted her mantle with pride.

5 comments:

ewe are here said...

Lovely story... mantle passing.

Anonymous said...

Wow, fancy that! Makes you wonder doesn't it?

They are beautiful, not something I have ever grown but there is always a first time.

Putz said...

you have a professionl garden that you use for your livlyhood don't you, you are not just a novice, you are real serious about your gardening

Candygirlflies said...

How WONDERFUL.

"One is nearer to God in the garden,
than anywhere else on the earth."

Most certainly. You have the mose spectacular hollyhocks to prove it!

xo CGF

merinz said...

Hi Ewe, Tismee, Putz and Candy - thank you for your comments. I like to think my friend is admiring my/her hollyhocks.

Putz - we live in town and I just have an ordinary flower garden around the house, as well as a vege garden and numerous fruit trees. - we have a big section (you call it a lot) - around 1/4 to 1/3 of an acre.(1250 sq metres)
But we also have a half share in a kiwifruit orchard of about 4 hectares (17 acres)which is 12 kilometers out of town. So we are kiwifruit growers which is part of our livelihood. On the orchard we also have a few plum trees, macadamia nut trees, and two avocado trees.