When I was little, my uncle in Australia sent me a book called "Blinky Bill", which was about a koala family... Years later, when my third child was born (with a slightly squashed little nose), I decided she was the spitting image of a baby koala bear. Her bedroom is now decorated with little toys, figurines and pictures (she doesn't seem offended in the least... We still call her Koala Bear).
These are just delightful images, Mrinz! Especially the sleepy one. Are they "wild" koalas? My uncle has them in the trees in his garden, sometimes (along with many, MANY other fascinating creatures).
I have head of the 'Blinky Bill' story but have never read it. Must look out for it.
No these are not 'wild' koalas. We went to a Wildlife World, right in the heart of Sydney, at Darling Harbour.
For an inner city attraction it is very well done, the animals are all beautifully cared for and there is a range of species but they haven't tried to cram too much in.
We were able to get very close to some of the animals ie koalas and wallabys (there were no kangaroos) and there were opportunities to hold or pat some of them.
I patted a snake (python), a lizard, and allowed the stick insect to crawl up my arm!
Australia has such an amazing variety of wild creatures. I am not so keen on some of them - especially the monster sized cockroaches, poisonous spiders and snakes.
Squirrel - I have only seen the rear end of a wombat - in a zoo. As they are nocturnal they are a bit shy I think. I don't know what a quokka is! I will do a google search...
6 comments:
I had a toy Koala when little and took it everywhere. They do look very cute. Aren't they supposed to be a bit agressive though?
Apparently the males can be aggressive at mating time. And they do have impressive claws which I guess they would use if they had to.
Oh. My. Word.
The Cuteness!!
When I was little, my uncle in Australia sent me a book called "Blinky Bill", which was about a koala family... Years later, when my third child was born (with a slightly squashed little nose), I decided she was the spitting image of a baby koala bear. Her bedroom is now decorated with little toys, figurines and pictures (she doesn't seem offended in the least... We still call her Koala Bear).
These are just delightful images, Mrinz! Especially the sleepy one. Are they "wild" koalas? My uncle has them in the trees in his garden, sometimes (along with many, MANY other fascinating creatures).
Love to you-- CGF xo
I have head of the 'Blinky Bill' story but have never read it. Must look out for it.
No these are not 'wild' koalas. We went to a Wildlife World, right in the heart of Sydney, at Darling Harbour.
For an inner city attraction it is very well done, the animals are all beautifully cared for and there is a range of species but they haven't tried to cram too much in.
We were able to get very close to some of the animals ie koalas and wallabys (there were no kangaroos) and there were opportunities to hold or pat some of them.
I patted a snake (python), a lizard, and allowed the stick insect to crawl up my arm!
Australia has such an amazing variety of wild creatures. I am not so keen on some of them - especially the monster sized cockroaches, poisonous spiders and snakes.
How fabulous they are. They have such marvelous dexterity with their hands. Have you ever encountered wombats or quokkas?
Squirrel - I have only seen the rear end of a wombat - in a zoo. As they are nocturnal they are a bit shy I think. I don't know what a quokka is! I will do a google search...
Post a Comment