Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Shopping dilemmas


































Petrol prices have risen here, and will very soon reach $2 a litre for 91 octane. At the moment it is $1.96 a litre.

So grocery shopping each week can be a depressing affair with prices rising across a whole range of foods - fresh vegetables, meat, dairy products, everything has been affected.

To compensate I find myself making a few compromises - trying a cheaper bread brand, fewer treats etc.

But there is one item I will NEVER EVER compromise on - I always buy Free Range eggs. I read the packet carefully to ensure that they are genuine, sometimes I buy them from a Farmers Market where you can meet the growers.

I avoid eggs that come in cartons with suspiciously friendly sounding names like "Farmer Browns Eggs" "Happy Hen Eggs". they are usually cheap and have no details at all on the packet as to the origin.

Its just a small thing to do but if enough people did it then hens would no longer be kept in the inhumane battery hen facilities to supply us with eggs.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always use free range eggs and organic fruit & veg where possible. For one they taste so much better and I like to think I make a teeny difference by doing so.

BTW my 'o' key has popped out of the keyboard, so i am delicately typing. Think I may have to send it to the laptop hospital to get fixed as the dog ate one of the clips.

Unknown said...

I agree with you...totally! We actually get our gets from Hubby's sister. She raises chickens on her farm and we raise cattle on ours.

It really is such a relief to KNOW where your food is coming from and what is IN your food!!!

*sigh* Gas prices are increasing here too. It's really, really scary how expensive it's getting! It doesn't look like it'll ever get lower than $1.32/L this summer!

Candygirlflies said...

I buy our eggs from the lady who owns our local yarn shop... she keeps a fridge-ful behind her counter, and assures each customer that they come from her own little flock of "happy chickens"!!

With the rapidly rising food prices here, my husband asked me to try shopping at the big-box "no frills" store, rather than at our village grocer... The experience was less than satisfactory, and what I discovered is that while I saved on certain items, other items actually cost MORE. I was thrilled to find that our weekly bill was no cheaper than where I normally shop-- I much prefer to support a locally-owned, small-town establishment.

As for gas prices... Well, I just thank heaven that the weather is finally nice enough to WALK most places!!

Much love to you-- CGF xo