Thursday, May 29, 2008

Autumn scenes in the Waikato



















































Here are some pics taken on my last foray into the dairy land of the Waikato.

The funny letter box is a rural mail box. The farms have a Rural Mail delivery each day where their mail is either picked up or dropped into the mailbox, sometimes the morning paper is also delivered and in days gone by, also the daily loaf of bread.

Rural mail boxes are interesting, some are grotty and decrepit, others are sterile and standard plastic boxes, and some are works of creative art.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Seems strange that you are now in the autumn as we are starting to warm up. That's what makes your blog so interesting. NZ is so far away but sometimes I feel I am right there.

We have just had a cold spell - just to remind us of the old saying "ne'er cast a clout till May is out" ie don't put away your winter clothes until June!

So as it's June on Sunday - us Brits will wear shorts and flip flops come hell or high water!!

- or some idiots will!

Candygirlflies said...

What are your "colours" like in autumn, Mrinz? Are the leaves mostly yellow and brown, as they are in Vancouver? Or, do most of the trees keep their leaves? I'm also wondering how low your temperatures dip in the autumn and winter...

xo CGF

merinz said...

Tismee - I love the wise old sayings!

Isn't a 'clout' what we would call a nappy or napkin and in North America called a diaper? (I always felt uncomfortable when in America asking for a napkin instead of a serviette)

Did you wear your shorts and jandals?

merinz said...

Candy - our autumn colours are mostly yellow I suppose, with some red.
I am not so good on types of introduced tress but we do have lots of oaks, maples etc and Liqidambers give a red and yellow mix. The further south you live the better the autumn colours.

Our native trees are mostly evergreen so no colours from them.

Our temperature today is expected to be 16 degrees celsius and overnight 7 degrees. Tomorrows high is 17 degrees and 4 degrees overnight. We do get the odd frost. July and August can be the coldest months.
We are in zone 9 with small pockets of zone 10 around us.