Sunday, May 11, 2008

Joys of Flying

We had a funny (but disconcerting) incident on our flight back home from Sydney to Auckland last Wednesday.

As we were nearing New Zealand the Captain made an announcement - "This is the Captain speaking - as you may be aware we have begun our descent to SYDNEY airport and our predicted landing time is etc etc".

We looked at each other and wondered if for some reason the plane had turned back to Sydney. Checked the GPS picture on our screens - no - it showed us just off the coast of NZ.

Then about 20 minutes later the Captain came on again with a similar announcement - " our predicted arrival time at Sydney airport is etc etc"

Luckily for us the passengers knew where they were!

Very soon after this announcement a different voice came on - the First Officer I think it was - "the weather in AUCKLAND (he stressed the word slightly) is 15 degrees and showery".

Fifteen minutes later we landed in Auckland - not Sydney Australia.

Wonder what they were drinking, or smoking, in the cockpit?

I won't mention the Airline but it is a well respected one - not Air New Zealand.

6 comments:

Candygirlflies said...

If I didn't know better, I'd think it was Air Canada...

xo CGF

merinz said...

Hehe, I was waiting for that!!

squirrelmama said...

Sounds like this could have occurred on the old Eastern Airlines (which went out of business long ago here in the States). I always surmised that Eastern flew its planes with rubberbands on the wings and gerbils in the engine.

merinz said...

Squirrel - Hmm well we were beginning to wonder.......

Anonymous said...

Bet a few people were getting a bit fidgety? I suppose aircrew have to while away the hours somehow.

British Airways?

Unknown said...

That was a funny story. I was just about to say what candygirlflies said, but she beat me to it! ;)

At least that was the only mistake the captain made! They must have been drinking some pretty good (or pretty cheap) wine in the cockpit! ;)