Thursday, December 2, 2010

Beach Bunny tails.







These are really weeds, but I love them and at our beach house I deliberately cultivate them. After all, all plants were weeds once. When it rains they droop.

The children love to pick them and put them into a vase, they can be dyed for flower arrangements, used for collage work, in works of art - their uses are endless. I like to look at them in the garden.

Along with marram grass, pingao (a native bright orange beach grass)and of course our New Zealand Christmas tree - the Pohutukawa, they spell long hot summers by the beach.

The pohutukawa is pictured on my header.

4 comments:

betty-NZ said...

They're only weeds if you don't want them where they are growing!!

Lovely shot of your bunny tails.

merinz said...

Thanks Bettyl, thats true.

Unknown said...

I LOVE that header and love that you're back on the blog again.
I cultivate weeds too - although in my case it's because I don't know what they are. We have something in our front garden that is quite pretty when it flowers but looks very weed like the rest of the year.
I'd love to see some pics of the beach house. I have an image in my head of what it looks like. I'm very envious despite the fact that the beach is only a mile away from my own house.

Veronica Wald said...

HAHA, "hot summer" - and today we had our first appreciable snow fall! People are complaining, but it is December, after all, better get used to it ;-)
Glad you're enjoying your summer!