
Here is some fruit that is ripe in New Zealand at the moment.
The red ones are Tamarillos, the green ones are Feijoas, there is a persimmon, and also a gold kiwifruit.
We have a Feijoa and a Tamarillo tree. Feijoas are prolific croppers and we tend to get a little tired of them by the end of the season. They are related to the Guava I think and taste a little similar.
Tamarillos have a taste all of their own. They were once known as Tree Tomatoes but dont share any characteristics of tomatoes other than their colour.
Persimmons are available around the world, and the gold Kiwifruit are becoming more widely known as the orchards reach maturity and they are exported to Europe and USA. They have a delicious honey/kiwifruit flavour and are my favourite.
7 comments:
My mouth is watering! All we get in the stores is vegetables grown in hothouses and fruits transported all over the place!
did you see all that ice in fireweedroots blog??????
Thanks for this timely post - I've just read Liz Hegarty's book about Tom Pook that mentioned Feijoas, and I had no idea what they were like!You solved my problem.
Hi Teepee, Putz and Jinksy - thank you all for visiting and drooling over our strange fruit.
Jinksy - I have never ever seen any reference to feijoas anywhere (other than horticultural books, articles etc). I must see if I can locate it and read it.
This is a colorful, luscious array and has me hungry. I have eaten the persimmon and know it also as the "Sharon fruit," the name it goes by in some local markets here.
Hi :)
Thanks for visiting me !
Love these fruits - it was such a treat when i first cme to NZ from England, 40 years ago, to eat these.. we had a tamarillo tree and also passionfruit and all sorts of citrus - was amazing!
I see you are a kiwi fruiter from BoP - do you know the Reynolds? Karen is a friend of mine - another vet who also teaches at BoP Polytech...
:)
Hi Squirrelmama and Fi,
I love our winter fruits! Especially when we can wander outside and pick them off our own tree. Apart from the persimmon. We dont have a persimmon tree but every time I go to the local supermarket I drive past one that is loaded with fruit.
Fi: we are orchardists but don't actually live on the orchard - we live in town. No, haven't come across the Reynolds.
But I have to go to our local vet soon, probably tomorrow. Our poor old lady cat, aged 20, is looking quite unwell. I think that her days are numbered and I can't quite face it!
Post a Comment