This is my very first attempt at quilting. I am going to a course of 6 lessons, we had the first one last night.
But - the tutor is moving at a dizzy speed. Even though I am a fairly experienced sewer I can see there may be a problem keeping up! Especially as I have been called to turn up for jury duty next week - on a four week trial. Hopefully I wont get selected.
Hope you do better than I did on my attempt at quilting. One year I got it into my head that I would do one and came home with a whole pile of 'quarters'? and other necessary items. I think I got about 6 pieces together and then lost interest. It was the planning thing I hated, not the sewing. If I didn't have this damn computer these days I'd still be enjoying cross stitch and scrapbooking!
Good Luck - think I'd rather be on Jury duty than sewing a quilt!
my word verification is 'foonsin' now isn't that a great word for messing about?
Candy - thank you for your words of advice. We were very much given the message by our tutor that we must be totally accurate with our 1/4 inch seams.
I merrily sewed several strips together, when finished they were supposed to measure 41/2 inches across and lo and behold mine measured 43/4in - not good enough. So there I was unpicking for the next 10 minutes.
I have now attached the presser foot with the 1/4" guide and that helps tremendously.
Tismee - yes planning is important I can see. And I have had to step back to inches - I had been rather proud of the way I had embraced the metric system for the last 20 years or so!
8 comments:
Whoa! Good luck - looking forward to seeing the result! :o)
You'll do fine! I feel the same way every time I'm starting on a new rug!
This is my very first attempt at quilting. I am going to a course of 6 lessons, we had the first one last night.
But - the tutor is moving at a dizzy speed. Even though I am a fairly experienced sewer I can see there may be a problem keeping up!
Especially as I have been called to turn up for jury duty next week - on a four week trial. Hopefully I wont get selected.
Can you hear the panic in my voice!
One word:
Measure.
(Then measure again, just to make sure!)
Good luck!! You'll do great.
xoxo CGF
ps. my word verification is "ausheep". Too funny. Had to let you know!
Hope you do better than I did on my attempt at quilting. One year I got it into my head that I would do one and came home with a whole pile of 'quarters'? and other necessary items. I think I got about 6 pieces together and then lost interest. It was the planning thing I hated, not the sewing.
If I didn't have this damn computer these days I'd still be enjoying cross stitch and scrapbooking!
Good Luck - think I'd rather be on Jury duty than sewing a quilt!
my word verification is 'foonsin' now isn't that a great word for messing about?
Candy - thank you for your words of advice. We were very much given the message by our tutor that we must be totally accurate with our 1/4 inch seams.
I merrily sewed several strips together, when finished they were supposed to measure 41/2 inches across and lo and behold mine measured 43/4in - not good enough. So there I was unpicking for the next 10 minutes.
I have now attached the presser foot with the 1/4" guide and that helps tremendously.
Tismee - yes planning is important I can see. And I have had to step back to inches - I had been rather proud of the way I had embraced the metric system for the last 20 years or so!
Word verification words are sometimes quite funny.
Ausheep?? Why not nzsheep!
And yes I like foonsin. I can just imagine 'foonsin' around all day.
Sounds like 'poozling' which is a word here for looking for old bottles under houses etc.
rug, oh i thought you were making an evening dress
Post a Comment