We have an insect in new Zealand that I just love to bits. Truly. It is the weta.
Some people are scared of them, some find them ugly and I guess they are a bit. But they have character and really, if you don't try to cuddle them, they don't hurt you. They can get a little agressive if you try to pick them up.
There are lots of different varieties, Tree weta, ground weta, giant weta and cave weta are a few. The most common one we find around here is the tree weta.
They like dark places and before putting on our gumboots it always pays to shake them first in case a weta has taken up residence.
Some weta facts:
* The weta is only found in New Zealand.
* Weta are large by insect standards but some of the giant weta are ENORMOUS and are amongst the heaviest insects in the world
* The weta is sometimes known as the dinosaur of the insect world
* The weta is more primitive than the tuatara
*The weta has changed very little in the past 100 million years.
Go to:
http://tvnz.co.nz/view/video_popup_flash_skin/1382032
to view a fascinating cave weta video. My brother had an old gold mine on his property and there were lots of cave wetas in there. I have to admit they are a little scary, I don't like the way they can jump on you if you disturb them.
Later
I have just finished cleaning out the garden shed and removing an pile of old firewood. As I predicted it was the home to several wetas. I managed to photograph one very angry specimen. I have put three in a terrarium to observe them for a while.
3 comments:
Oh yes I remember these guys! and I remember thinking YUK!
I think I also said I'm glad you have them in your shed and they aren't in mine.
thanks for the reminder though.
weta or not you go to the movie is alright with me, but weta or not you pay attention to these guys is definetely not ok....ha ha ha ha ha ha
Putz - weta to reply to you or not - that is the question!
Tismee - they still remain my favourite insect.
Post a Comment