Friday, January 25, 2008

Sir Ed and life

One of my favourite comments of Sir Edmund Hillary's is:

(I have had to paraphrase as I don't have it in front of me)

'For me the the most memorable moments have not been the great ones but the everyday ones - for what can surpass a tear when one departs, a smile on ones arrival and a trusting hand in yours'.

Yesterday I visited a friend - no one will cry when he goes, smile when he arrives and there is no trusting hand in his - never ever has been.

He has mental health issues, major health problems, and lives alone. Now he has been forced to move house and was struggling to pack.

I stayed to help and he was so very very grateful, I felt ashamed that I don't call around more often. I will go back today and help until the removal van arrives.

Life is a struggle for some.

5 comments:

Candygirlflies said...

Mrinz, you are so good. I'm so glad you were able to help your friend... what a gift.

I was just "talking" to another blog-friend of mine, Shauna, from "Up In The Night" (link is on my sidebar), and we were saying how important it is to "pay it forward"-- give, as we ourselves have received.

Giving generously of ourselves, is what true Grace is all about, don't you think? And it never ceases to amaze me how the "little" things... like helping someone fold laundry, cooking a nourishing meal, caring for children for an hour or two, or packing boxes (as you did)... are the most precious gifts of all.

xoxo CGF

Laura said...

Hi, just found your site from not really sure where, but anyway , I'm here.

It's wonderful that you took time to help someone. I too have an elderly friend and I keep saying that I've got to go visit her more. Since I homeschool, I usually take my boys with me and it's actually wonderful to see their faces when they know we are going to go see "Ms Gertrude".

merinz said...

Candy - I went back yesterday and was there from 9.30 until the moving truck came at 2pm, then later in the day went to his new place and did one or two things.

It was a hard days work but I was so very much appreciated.

Laura - welcome to my bog! I am pleased that you have taken the time to stop by and and thank you for your comments.

Older people can often connect with youngsters and vice versa. I feel sorry for older people who are often isolated from the younger generation. And I guess that works the other way around also.

My own children had lost both sets of grandparents by the time our oldest child was 5 and I had to make sure that we kept in touch with other members of our family who were of my Parents generation.

chris said...

Hey go to you tube and search rick burgess a fathers heart thats Rick from the Rick and Bubba show hes a great guy and lost his son. You can find out more about the show at rickandbubba.com he needs our prayers. Thanks

Anonymous said...

Doing things like that make you feel really warm inside. Even just helping someone through a door or giving directions makes the day brighter. Maybe we should all do something nice for others everyday? I'm sure that man really appreciated your help Mrinz.