Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Happy New Year






























Happy New Year!!!

I hope that this year is a wonderful one for you all and your family. I hope it brings peace, good health and happiness.

I am away now, probably for at least two weeks or longer, to our wee house by the beach. In NZ a beach house is known as a 'bach' - or if you live in the South Island - a 'crib'.

There will be lots of long walks on the beach - mostly in the mornings and evenings though. The UV rays here are very very strong and my skin already shows damage from years of over exposure, mostly as a child growing up on a farm.

In the heat of the day the bush (NZ term for forest) is a good place to go - there are some lovely bush walks not too far away.

I am taking lots of books to read, will also do some scrapbooking, and jigsaws. We also have some friends from neighbouring baches to catch up with.

It will be a quiet time, with some busy moments as friends and family stop by. Some may want to stay, and if there is no room inside the house there is always the garage!

A few years ago we built a garage, not to be used for vehicles, but as storage for beach gear (wagon, surf skiis, body boards, deck chairs, spare fridge etc). We also put in bathroom facilities so the garage doubles as a sleepout if we have too many guests. It is only suitable to used in the summer.

Bye...............................

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Happy New Year to you and your loved ones.

Shame we can't see photos of your adorable grandies! I totally respect the parents' decision though, as my sister-in-law and brother-in-law don't want any photos of our nieces on the internet as well. They are worried about photos going into the wrong hands (pedophiles using their daughters' photos and manipulating them with PhotoShop or something and creating child pornography). I totally understand and respect that. The internet can be a wonderful thing, but in the hands of people with not so good intentions, it can be dangerous as well.

Wow! I totally didn't expect to write anything of that nature! I just wanted to wish you a Happy New Year! LOL!

Catch you later! xoxo

Anonymous said...

Hi Mrinz,
NZ is conspiring against me today!

I think I may have mentioned that we have 'almost' emigrated to NZ twice but for personal reasons didn't quite get there. However, first I 'bumped' into your blog and heard even more wonderful things about the country. Second, today we switched on the TV to see a new programme where a family were thinking of emigrating and were given a holiday there to explore places and try to get an idea of how it would be for them. (They decided against it due to their 13 year old daughter not wanting to leave her 'real' father.)
Now you pop up with all this talk of life at the beach - at Christmas!!! How much do we want to come there now?? Also we found out from the programme that the max age is now 55 - it was 45 when we did the last research. There is still hope for us yet. (Do they still want teachers?)

Have a great time with the family.

Gail

merinz said...

Chrissy - good to hear from you, and thanks for the good wishes.

Tismee - also good to hear from you! Would love to see you in NZ one day. Sounds like a sensible idea to have a holiday first and see what the country is like.

Yes we always need teachers! They are especially short of teachers at secondary school level in many schools.