Monday, October 29, 2007

My Adrenaline Rush for the day




















































Today is going to be one of those random days when I will need to expect the unexpected.

I was just about to hang out the washing when I heard a very loud humming noise and over the roof of the house came a huge swarm of bees. I was quickly surrounded by them and dived inside - literally - and shut all windows and doors. The first photo was taken from inside the window.

The swarm buzzed around the plum tree and have settled around their queen on one of the branches. They have quietened down now and hopefully will stay put.

I will call the bee keeper who supplies the hives to our orchard and see if he wants to come this evening and remove the swarm. The bees are more docile in the evenings.

1 comment:

Candygirlflies said...

Oh. My. Word.

When bees swarm like this,are they angry, or just trying to find a new home? It's a good thing you were able to duck indoors and close all the windows...

When the bee man comes to round them up, does he wind up using smoke to make them drowsy? I hope you'll post a follow-up to this-- I've always been so interested in bee keeping! One of my father's friends used to keep hives years ago, and we were always extremely well-supplied with honey...

xo CGF