As quickly as they arrived, the bees upped stakes and departed this afternoon.
I had called our orchard bee keeper and arranged for someone to contact us this evening to remove them but the bees had other ideas - no doubt they have found another home somewhere in the neighbourhood.
When the bee keepers handle the swarms they use smoke to subdue them, then scoop the swarm, which includes a queen, into a sack. They then reestablish them into another hive.
Although I am not frightened by bees, or any insect for that matter, I have a healthy respect for them! Especially en masse. They were intent on following the queen though and were not interested in me.
7 comments:
Whew!!
I once read a book in highschool about swarms of bees with poisonous stings that were working their way up from South America... and have been a little bit freaked out by the thought ever since!! One or two of those insects at a time are lovely, but a big swarm would certainly be frightening!
Thanks for the update, and I'm glad to know you are safe and sound!
CGF xo
WOW!!! You are my hero. I'm scared of bees. Actually, I'm more afraid of wasps and hornets more than I'm afraid of bees.
All of a sudden, I feel the need to go out and buy some unpasturized honey! LOL! I hear it's good for treating certain ailments.
PS. Love the banner you've got on your blog. Oh, and you've just been awarded the BFF award. Check out my blog and see for yourself :)
Hi :) Your name has been drawn out for a swap pin so visit my blog and find out what to do :)
Candy - wow those bees sound fierce - I seem to remember reading about them too.
Hehe - I was just thinking - good thing that Praying Mantids don't swarm.
Chrissy - No heroics - I just scarpered!
Thank you very much for the award - but I am not sure what to do - do I cut and paste and put it on my blog? And can I pass one on to others?
Shell - am just about to visit you.
Hi!
Oooops, thanks for the heads up! I forgot to write in the post what to do with it! LOL! I saved the image and uploaded it onto my blog. You can give the award to your BFFs (Blog Friends Forever) too. I gave the award to some of the people whose blogs I check out on a regular basis and who I've become 'blogging buddies' with :)
Thanks Chrissy - will pass it on.
Post a Comment