Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Afghan woes

I decided recently to brush up on my crochet skills and thought that the best way to do this would be to make some 'Granny squares'.  After all I am a Granny so the title fitted and had a good ring to it. And we have a new grandchild due later this month and a woollen cot blanket would be very acceptable. (The fact that this Grandchild will live in a country where the av summer temperature would be 40+degrees Celsius  and the av winter temp not much less didn't occur to me at the time! However air conditioning does make it cooler inside)

I selected a suitable pattern, designed the colours and off I started making the 100+ squares required. As I completed each square I tossed it into the bottom of my knitting bag and went on with the next. After I was about 3/4 through the required number I decided that perhaps it might be time to sew a few together too see how it would look.

To my horror some were bigger than others. At some stage I had accidently swapped from a 4.50 size hook to a 4.00. The half size difference made the squares 1/4" bigger all round which was enough to make it impossible to sew them together. I sorted them into their sizes and had to begrudgingly rip apart carefully unpick and redo about 35 squares.

I was not happy at all! However I am pleased with the end result.

2 comments:

betty-NZ said...

Oh, dear! But I don't feel so bad, as I have done that, too! Your final project is gorgeous! No matter the temperature, I'm sure it will be appreciated.

Candygirlflies said...

Oh, I am no longer alone!!!

"Frogging" is no fun, but it sure makes the project more satisfying to finish and GIVE AWAY. Don't you think??

xoxo CGF